In the tradition of accumulating nonsensical lists of unknown purpose and object, this list of things I should do before I enter the unknown is my humble contribution to this growing body of work. In no way do I guarantee the completeness of this list; furthermore, the items in this list are in no particular order, more like a random stream of consciousness:
1. Sing a karaoke version ‘Someday We’ll Know’ in front of a crowd while the person I am dedicating it to is listening.
2. Climb the summit of Popocatepetl.
3. Attend the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
4. Write a novel.
5. Publish a book for children.
6. Have my own child.
7. Play with the penguins in South Africa.
8. Live for a month in a tree house.
9. Star in my own porn.
10. Harvest spices from my own garden.
11. Lift 200 lbs of weights twenty times for three sets.
12. Participate in a triathlon.
13. Be addressed as professor/doctor.
14. Interview Meryl Streep.
15. Make love with a winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature.
16. Take a photo with Big Foot.
17. Swim from Iloilo City to Guimaras.
18. Publish my own newspaper.
19. Go to the moon and see how my country looks like from there.
20. Witness an erupting volcano.
21. Ride a bike from Iloilo City to Miagao.
22. Learn to speak French, Russian, and Swahili.
23. Produce my own independent film on how to have sex with a bacterium.
24. Skin dive in the middle of Sulu Sea.
25. Learn to play poker.
26. Tell Korina Sanchez in her face how forced her masa appeal is.
27. Perform at experimental theater in CCP.
28. Attend my class topless without feeling any remorse.
29. Vote in a national election.
30. Have an afternoon conversation over a cup of coffee with Floy Quintos.
31. Attend a reunion of Dole Cannery Central Kindergarten School class of 1992.
32. Learn to dance hip-hop.
33. Write and compose a song.
34. Stay with the B’laan of Landan, South Cotabato for a month.
35. Watch a concert of Michael Buble and Imogen Heap.
36. Assemble a Christmas tree in our house with my mother and youngest sister.
37. Have an evening in Paris, alone.
38. Dye my hair silver.
39. Say “I’m sorry” to all the people I loved and hurt before.
40. Have a pet cat.
41. Learn to play basketball.
42. Say my confession to a priest and have my penance before I die.
43. Go to Mecca
44. Wail in front of the Wailing Wall.
45. Meet Jessica Zafra and suggest to have her hair rebonded.
46. Find God.
47. Get married in Amsterdam.
48. Ask God all the questions in my mind and have him explain all the paradoxes that boggle me, that is, in case I find him or he finally decides to show himself.
49. Be inside the ‘eye’ of a storm.
50. To die with all the spectacle imaginable.